Hey Y’all –
So I’m on this Paleo diet. I’ve been trying to find inventive ways to make the food flavorful and fun so that I stay on this freaking diet. I’ve also started adding different ingredients to food that I normally wouldn’t (hence the squash in this recipe) so that I don’t waste food. I usually get a taste for something, cook it, eat it that day and let the rest rot in my refrigerator until my kitchen starts smelling like ass and dead people.
Anywho, I’m doing this weight loss plan with my buddy. (Here’s the plan I created after doing a bunch of research – in case you’re interested, I’ll be updating my progress on the blog) She was saying that she didn’t have time to cook breakfast in the morning. I was trying to come up with quick ways for her to have a delicious and flavorful breakfast so that she sticks with it and isn’t tempted to grab a bagel sandwich or some other carby-cheesy processed wackness.
These yummy ass Egg “cupcakes” were born.
Now, I originally got the idea from Paleo leap. They have an egg frittata recipe…I don’t know what a frittata is (they were talking about adding coconut milk and such) but yeah I just took the concept and remixed that jawn.
Here’s my recipe below:
Prep Time: 5 min Bake Time: 20 min
What you’ll need:
– A cupcake tin (a ramekin might do, but something tells me that if you don’t have a cupcake tin, you probably don’t have ramekins lying around either. So take that ass to Target.)
– A bowl for mixing
– Calorie-free cooking spray – I used PAM
Now this is the cool part. You can literally chop up veggies that you have around and add them to these “muffins”. For the diet meal plan I created, I’m trying to make sure I eat veggies with every meal. It’s also great if you want to get rid of some veggies in your fridge that may be on the brink of spoiling. Here’s what I used in these particular “muffins”
Yields three muffins
2- Whole Eggs
¼ Cup of Egg Whites
1 slice of Canadian Bacon
Butternut Squash – Two 2-inch chunks chopped up into small pieces
1- Scallion bulb
Broccoli – a couple of florets
Steps to make some awesomeness:
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees
- Cut up your veggies and Canadian bacon
- Scramble eggs and egg whites in the bowl
- Add veggies and ham
- Scramble everything together
- Add salt and pepper (to taste – I rarely measure)
- SPRAY (like a muthafreaker) the cupcake cups that you want to use with cooking spray
- Pour the mix into those cupcake cups (remember, yields 3)
- Pop in the oven
- Hop in the shower, Get ready for work, or whatever it is you want to do for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes – take the pan out of the oven and let it cool.
…And there you have it. The best thing about these little muffins is that they practically cook themselves, which frees up time for you. So no excuses!
If you decide to make them, let me know how they turn out!
Happy Dining –